background

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 11: Tackle Scrap Room Closet

I feel like the organization in this room will never be complete.  I have never been completely satisfied with the way this room has been organized.  I don't know what it is.  I don't know if it's storage or the way I organize or the mere fact that I just have way too much stuff in there. 

I know that you should have less stuff for the space you have.  This is hard for me because I have inherited the "Strack packing gene" which usually refers to luggage in a car, and has also included clothes in a suitcase.  So my mentality is to fit the "stuff" perfectly in the container.  That is not the best practice when organizing in the home.  It is so hard to get out of that way of thinking.

Another problem I have is holding on to the "sentimental" or the "what if" items.  I have read so many organizing blogs and articles and they all say, that there's a time to let them go.  I have such a hard time with this.  But quite honestly, I've organized this stuff so much that I am kind of tired of moving it around.  If I haven't used it by now (some of this stuff I've had for 10 years or better.  And I'm not talking about sentimental...I'm talking about pads of paper and index cards and what you're going to see later in this post), I ain't going to use it.  Give it away or throw it away.  I still have a ways to go in the room and the closet isn't finished, but I'm going to try my hardest to not over pack it.  I completely (COMPLETELY) emptied this room out in August of last year and organized it (that was the most recent time). 

This is "organized" from last year.  As you can see, I used as much space as I could.  When we moved in, I removed the doors and wire shelf from this closet.  Part of me wishes I didn't remove the shelf, but oh well, I did.  I have wire shelves to the left holding past direct sales attempts, scrapbook magazines, baskets, gift bags, tissue paper, etc.  There are 3 boxes of random pictures next to that.  Then off to the right (facing the shelves) is a 2 drawer hanging file cabinet and a plastic set of drawers.  On top of those is more crap of some sort, 2 empty photo boxes, and junk.  Stuffed between the drawers and the wall are 3-ring binders, and some tote bags.  Outside the closet to the right, you can see my scrapbook paper storage (none of it is organized and it's only about 1/3 of the scrapbook paper I own).  My goal is to get the file cabinet out of there and put the paper tray holder in its spot.  And to get the boxes of photos in correct photo boxes (until I can organize them another day).  Holy...mess Batman!

This isn't the complete finished version, but it's in a "semi-finished" state so I could feel good about myself today.  I only worked on this during Ayden's 2 naps, so maybe 2.5 hours total.  My goal here is to not over stuff the closet.  Just because there is open space, doesn't mean I need to fill it.  There is stuff all over the room and bed, so I really am going to need to get to work and plan on making a trip to Community Services by next week.  I do need a couple more storage containers, but it's an improvement.  The bottom shelf has my scrapbook magazines, which after Christmas I am going to be making my "Inspire Binder" and I cannot wait.  So those will be gone.  And under the shelves is my tissue paper.  This is the only place where I can keep it and it won't get all mangled.  As you can see in the first picture, I had to move a bunch of...stuff to get to it when I needed it.  I promised myself I wouldn't crowd this area.  I eventually plan to get my wrapping paraphernalia on the back of the door.


Ok...here is the scary part.  I mentioned before about things that I have acquired over the last 15ish years.  One of my weaknesses is office supplies...mainly pens.  I had a clear container that had my pens, pencils, markers, and highlighters in it.  I wanted to use that container for other storage.  When I spotted these cigar boxes I brought home from work a while back, I thought that would be PERFECT!!!  I could separate them and therefore they would be "organized."  And one day (I say that a lot), I can craft the outside of the boxes to fit the theme of the room.  How cute is that!!!  Until I started separating them and realized my pens were overflowing their box.  Now I've known I have a pen problem, but I didn't realize it was quite this bad.  I had even gone through all my pens when I gutted the room last year and threw out any that didn't work.  WHY DID I KEEP THE REST???  What if!
What if...
   ...we had game night and we played Pictionary?   (with 5,000 people???)
   ...I went back to school and needed pens for classes    (taking 5,000 classes???)
 and the crazy thoughts continue.  So...since I don't have space for them and I just keep moving them around, they are going bye bye.  I am currently going through them to see which ones work and which ones don't.  I am going to THROW AWAY  the one's that don't work.  Then I am going to keep 10 pens from the working pile and donate the rest.  I even found an unopened pack of pens!!!  And yes...I plan on counting them before I am done.  It's hard to believe that I threw away some last year.  I used to have more than this...

The pile of pens is almost as tall as 3 cigar boxes stacked up!!!

While I am at it, I am going to scale down the markers/highlighters and pencils and put them all in one box! 
Ok, I typed that I was going to keep 10 before I actually sorted them.  I kept 19 plus 4 that were scrapbooking pens.


265 total.  168 pens, 52 pencils, 26 markers, and 24 highlighters.  Madness!!!
I am keeping 23 pens, 8 pencils, 14 markers, and 5 highlighters.  All fits in one box.  7 of the markers are going in the garage for projects.  I threw away 77 pens, 2 markers and one highlighter.  The rest, I am giving to the church and/or school if they need them.

Lesson learned, but I can tell you, throughout this whole process, I can't stop thinking about looking at the pens and pencils when I am in Staples or Target.  Hopefully I won't buy unless I absolutely need them...hopefully

That is all, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment